GIT – Book Description
Today’s organizations need to deliver faster services to a large set of people and businesses. In order to survive this challenge, enterprises need to optimize the performance of their application server along with its components and hardware. Writing faster applications is no longer just an option for your products; it’s an imperative requirement, which you cannot ignore.
JBoss AS 5 Performance Tuning will teach you how to deliver fast applications on the JBoss Application Server and Apache Tomcat, giving you a decisive competitive advantage over your competitors. You will learn how to optimize the hardware resources, meeting your application requirements with less expenditure.
The performance of Java Enterprise applications is the sum of a set of components including the Java Virtual Machine configuration, the application server configuration (in our case, JBoss AS), the application code itself and ultimately the operating system. This book will show you how to apply the correct tuning methodology and use the tuning tools that will help you to monitor and address any performance issues.
By looking more closely at the Java Virtual Machine, you will get a deeper understanding of what the available options are for your applications and how their performance will be affected. You will learn about thread pool tuning, EJB tuning, JMS tuning, Enterprise Java Beans, and the Java Messaging Service.
The persistence layer and JBoss Clustering service each have a chapter dedicated to them as they are two of the most crucial elements to configure correctly in order to run a fast application.
You will also learn how to tune your web server, enabling you to configure and develop web applications that get the most out of the embedded Tomcat web server.
A practical guide to configure and develop lightning fast applications on JBoss AS and its embedded web server,Apache Tomcat
What you will learn from this book :
- Understand the correct tuning methodology and how it fits into the overall software development cycle
- Install and configure the instruments for tuning, including VisualVM, JMeter, Eclipse TPTP Platform, and basic O/S tools
- Improve the performance of your application by properly configuring the JVM heap and the garbage collector knobs
- Efficiently configure the JBoss System Thread Pool, the Connection Pool, and the Logging Service
- Tune the middleware services including EJB tuning and JMS tuning
- Learn the principles of good database design and core concepts about Java Persistence API with special focus on JBoss’s implementation (Hibernate)
- Set up the JBoss Clustering service both as a standalone solution and integrated with Apache Web server
- Configure the JBoss Web server (Tomcat) for optimal performance including the mod_jk, mod_proxy and mod_cluster modules.
- Develop faster web applications by tuning the JSF and RichFaces component libraries.
Packed with practical examples, this book looks at a different aspect of performance tuning in each chapter and shows the reader how to apply them to their existing Java applications. Written to version 5.1, this book also has information about the upcoming 6.0 release and how you can upgrade your existing applications.
Who this book is written for
This book is for Java architects who design and configure Enterprise applications. It is great for Java developers who want to get into the inner details of the application server and of the correct tuning methodology. Application testers will also find this book useful as they will learn how to monitor the performance of the middleware with the correct instruments.
- Paperback: 312 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (December, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 184951402X
- ISBN-13: 978-1849514026